Tuesday, July 28, 2009

that Dewey guy...

Today is hot in our little town....

my favorite thing to do on a hot day?

no, it's not go to the beach....I hate laying out in the sun....yeah, yeah, I know, whenever I say that I just cringe a little and wait for the onslaught of ridicule! It happens every time....

this is what I like to do....

I like to follow these signs.....except today I thought I'd get all gutsy and fancy and try to take some back roads to downtown....and I got all turned around.....couldn't find one of these signs to save my life.


but then I saw this....
I did really!
funny how I couldn't find the actual building or see the writing on the side of the building but I could see this trash can out front.

I drove past the actual building but it didn't look like a library to me....






and I didn't see the writing on the side of the building.....do you?.....or should I say would you?--if you were lost and you had your head sticking out the window and you had some impatient dude right on your butt....


I know I've said this before but I LOVE libraries! It has been like that for me as long as I can remember. It doesn't matter where I am or what is going on in my life....the minute I walk thru the door and calm settles over me.


It's comforting knowing that every library is the same. Thanks to that Dewey Decimal guy.....wow had I been alive in the 1870's....I would have been a Dewey groupie.....posters of the guy on my wall (they had posters back then--they were all sepia colored and burnt around the edges--right?)....and I'm pretty sure he looked like Shawn Cassidy or Rick Springfield.....um..yeah.



When I drove my oldest daughter, Nae, out to Colorado for her summer internship one of the first things we did was find her local library.....she was as excited as I was......well, maybe not, she just need Internet access.....but I was super excited!!

I took this picture of her library.....and then Nae said "what the heck are you doing? You are so embarrassing! Put that camera away!".....


But anyway....the inside of this library was super cool! It was huge and the whole back wall was windows that faced the mountains....I grabbed a book off the shelf that a friend recommended, and read to my hearts content....sigh!.....or actually till Nae was finished....but it was still wonderful!

So here's my selections for today....I always get one thing off my reading list--it's about 3 pages long. And if you're still reading this blog at this point.....I just want to say thank you! I don't how many people would take the time to listen to me ramble on about libraries and books....you guys are swell!

6 comments:

Lucky Girl said...

The library is one of our favorite things to do when I visit Ella! Big comfy chairs, hundreds of books about horses, coffee bar. Aah..

Unknown said...

I think libraries are the greatest as well. I went on a "girls' weekend" and we found a library and spent a couple hours there.

Kim said...

I love libraries too. The one in Vicksburg is in an old house and doesn't look like a library at all. I used to go and sit in what used to be the parlor in a winged-back chair and read while Allion was at dance class.

Kim

Debra said...

Oh Tori...I love reading your blog. You see the fun and funny things in life...how refreshing. You always give me a giggle and sometime a down right laugh out loud (which is better than lol :D) Keep it up. Oh and I prefer reading in a squishy chair at a coffee house (although I rarely get the chance). Keep writing and someday may publish something??? hmmmmm....

Anonymous said...

I found the public library in Juneau, Alaska. However, I was like your daughter and was just looking for internet access. I do love the library though.
BTW I read your blog all the time:-) You're pretty funny!

rxBambi said...

I used to love going to the library in downtown Reno when we'd go out there to visit my grandparents. It has a winding staircase that I thought was just too cool. Unfortunately when I went back as an adult it had lost all it's magic, but still an ok library...