Saturday, September 19, 2009

secret identity

The Hubby and I have been talking a lot about my blog lately.

He's a little concerned. He wants to be sure the kids and I are safe. I've monitoring who's reading my blog and also seeing how people are finding it.

And that can be a little....interesting to say the least.

We've decided that if I'm gonna keep doing this (who knows, I may run out of things to say or you may get sick of listening to me babble) that I need to be a little more careful.

So you will notice some changes over the next few days (I've already done some of them).
I will be removing as much personal info as I can.
I've also decided to take the kids names off.

I realize that some people (and maybe some creepy people) already know what city we live in and what my kids names are but if I get any new readers then they won't.

I've toyed around with the idea of what to call my kids.

Some other bloggers number theirs #1, #2, #3, #19 (nah--that's the Duggers and I'm sure she doesn't have time to blog).

Some come up with some pretty funny names.

I decided to ask Mac (thinking that she wouldn't want to and she'd say something like "It's your stupid blog, I don't care!).

Me: I'm thinking of making up some fake names for you guys for my blog. Would you be interested in helping me?

Mac: "Phhtt!" *{{rolling her eyes/making the "duhh! face"}}* "Uhhhh! Yeah! Of course!"
So we batted around some ideas for a while.

Mac thought that maybe we should go with a theme here's some examples...

I also asks some of my girlfriends to help out too (maybe you can figure out who picked what)

Nature Names~
Mac: Sunbeam (if that's the case then I get to change it to something else like "thunder cloud" on some days....)
Me: Bloom (yuck)
Hubby: Poke weed (heehee)
Tony: Tumble (the new pup would be "Ruff"---get it "ruff and tumble")
Bud: ?
Nae: River water


Native American Names~
Hubby: Man afraid of butterfly (we saw this one out west at a memorial-the kids loved it)
Me: Woman who stays away from cliffs and other high things cuz she's a really smart lady and knows that those people are crazy (yeah I'm might have to shorten it a little!)
Tony: Dances with dogs
Nae: Deep waters
Bud: Sleeper on rocks (he knows what I mean)

Meh! that's all we could come up with for now!
I'm off to see the city! (Chi Town)

Have a great weekend
and if you have any better ideas let me know!

6 comments:

Deborah said...

I can understand your hubby's concerns, my mother is also furious about my blog. It's crazy because if you link to facebook, I won't do that, then the "Bad People" can find out everything and it is scary. She is afraid that someone will steel my pets. I don't post any people pictures, just the ugly one of me! As for names, I didn't make up names, I just say son and daughter! Isn't it too bad that we have to worry so much about this stuff, it just drives me insane! Have a nice weekend and I totally understand, your only being smart!

Pam said...

I've thought about this very thing, too. I haven't tried to hide anything on my blog and I think it would really effect the content of my posts.

As for names, I've heard some people call their kids by their placement in the family:

Oldest, Middle, Youngest

Mrs. Sarcasm said...

Somtimes, I think we are living the same life!! When I posted the Grandparents Day slideshow, my husband went a little crazy. He would also like me to de-personalize my blog. I am having a tough time with it. I tried at first, then my ADHD kicked in and I posted all the stuff I tried not to! I think it would be too hard for me to keep up the "secret" decoder words! Good luck. What about middle names? Or do you have nick names for them? It is much harder then you think, I know!!!

rxBambi said...

Yeah my hubby is afraid we are all gonna get hacked to pieces. Hasn't happened yet tho.

Coolkayaker1 said...

For what it's worth, tori, I never use my real name online, but I do use the first name of friends, family, wife et cetera. But I do not use their picture. Ever. Your blog is super fine, but it does have your house, your backyard, your house number...plenty of photos of your children and husband and all. I know, it's like a personal journal, so I can see the struggle with not putting that stuff on there--then how do you journal? How do you tell a story about your life? I miss that you do not have the name of your town in your profile because, as you know, one can click it and see others from (insert your town here). I would never have read about Kalamazoo--only that you are from my town, G, IL. But if one canot get that from the photos on your blog and mine, would be hard to think that keeping the clickable name out of your profile would make much difference. But house numbers, kids and pets and stuff, those are touchier. I read somewhere online--keep faces off the boog, or names of the blog, but no need to keep both off the blog. That seems to make sense to me.

Have a wonderful Monday and week.

Amanda {My Life Badly Written} said...

Stopping by from SITS!

I changed the name of my kids and I do post their pics occasionally and it is a worry. I know some bloggers that post side views or just the backs of their kids. It's a hard one because it is having to censor your own blog but better safe than sorry I guess.